Branson Tri-Lakes News News Free - State commission approves Empire Electric rate hike

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

State commission approves Empire Electric rate hike

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 2:42 pm

The Missouri Public Service Commission this week approved yet another rate increase for Empire District Electric Company customers.

The increase will allow Empire to collect an additional $27.5 million in annual revenues.

The company also has reduced its fuel adjustment clause revenue, meaning the rate increase will result in a total net increase to customers of about $18.9 million.

“The impact our customers are going to see is about a 4.7 percent increase,” said Amy Bass, Empire director of corporate communications.

Empire last raised its rates only four months ago, changing its fuel adjustment rate which resulted in a net increase of about $1.45 per 1,000 kilowatt hours, which company officials say is the average monthly residential usage.

The latest increase will equal about $5.60 per month for the average customer.

The company began seeking the latest increase in the middle of last year to offset an increase in depreciation rates and added expenses from employee pensions, retiree health care, vegetation management and the operating and maintenance costs of the Iatan Common, Iatan 2 and Plum Point power plants.

In 2011, another $3.29 per month fuel adjustment was made, in addition to a $3.52 per month general rate increase.

In August 2010, the company increased rates by an average of $13 per month.

That means, during the past 30 months, Empire customers have seen rates increase by approximately $27 a month, more than 20 percent from their 2010 levels.

The latest increase takes effect April 1, but Empire has agreed to postpone implementation until October 2014, according to a press release.

“We believe the agreement provides for a balanced result that will allow us to continue to provide our customers with safe, reliable service and our shareholders a fair return on their investment,” said Brad Beecher, Empire president and CEO.

Empire provides service for approximately 150,000 customers in Missouri, including portions of Taney and Stone counties.

White River Valley Electric Cooperative, which also provides service to Tri-Lakes Area customers, increased its rates effective March 1. That increase of approximately 9 percent totaled an average of $10 per month for residential customers. It last increased its rates 8 percent in April 2009, a year after a 17 percent hike.

  • Discuss

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
  • 2 Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

3 comments:

  • Elton posted at 2:17 pm on Tue, Mar 5, 2013.

    Elton Posts: 1

    "The company also has reduced its fuel adjustment clause revenue, meaning the rate increase will result in a total net increase to customers of about $18.9 million."


    What does this mean in plain English? "reduced fuel adjustment clause ... Total net increase to customers of about $18.9 million" Increase of what? Electricity? Kilowatts" Power poles? Linemen? Oranges? Fuzzy math. Fuzzy explanation.


     
  • Bob from Branson posted at 9:58 am on Sat, Mar 2, 2013.

    Bob from Branson Posts: 9

    On top of this they want a tax for a library.  [sad]

     
  • happydazelp posted at 12:01 am on Sat, Mar 2, 2013.

    happydazelp Posts: 2

    "during the past 30 months, Empire customers have seen rates increase by approximately $27 a month, more than 20 percent from their 2010 levels."
    I would love to know how the average working person in Branson, Hollister and the surround areas served by Empire are supposed to afford yet ANOTHER increase in our elecrtic bills....I know for a fact my wages have not increased any where close to 20% in the last 2.5 years.